Thursday, July 22, 2010

Farmers Markets

Here it is a Thursday night, and I had to visit the farmers market down at Victoria Square. The history of farmers markets are pretty simple. Farmers from the surrounding country side would bring their wares to town to use them for bartering for other goods. Something I do love about Reno, there is pretty much a farmers market on any given day, and there is nothing like the fresh fruits and vegatables you can pick up at the markets.

However, I couldn't help but notice the various people on "the prowl." I couldn't help to chuckle a bit watching the people walking around with beers in their hands. Would you see something similar happening in the produce department at your neighborhood grocery store? I just never thought of a farmers market as a place to find my future mate.

With modern conviences in transportation, the farmers today are able to get their fresh products much greater distances. Many of the vendors at our various markets come from California. The produce is picked fresh on Tuesday and Wednesday and arrive here in Reno for sell on Thursdays. You get vine ripened fruits and vegatables for a fair price. I would suggest to anyone, if you get a chance, go down to one of the many farmers markets here in town and take a look. You might just be happy with what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment