Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Immigration

This is a very touchy subject for many people. You could call be a bit of a radical, but I am going to express my opinion on this subject. I feel if you are in the States illegally, you are taking jobs from legal citizen. I also know the freedoms we have in the U.S. should be available to everyone that wants to come here, but there are a set of rules that would allow people to come here legally. I also disagree with the opponents of the Arizona immigration law. I personally have no problems with profiling. Stereotypes, though wrong, have a basis of truth.

Currently, the unemployment rate in the United States is 9.5%. In the state of Nevada, the unemployment rate is at a record setting 14%. How many jobs do illegal immigrants hold that could be held by legal U.S. citizens and immigrants? What percent of the our unemployment rate include people that are not legally allowed to work in the U.S.? Can we even put realistic numbers to these questions?

I know there is a process of immigration a person has to go through to become a legal immigrant. It may be involved, but those who are not going through the process are no different than the criminal breaking into a house or trespassing on private property. IT IS A LAW! If you break the law, you have to expect to face the punishment. Arizona is attempting to enforce a law that is set out by the United States government. Is it 100% fair, no. But is it fair for people to break the law to begin with? After all, it is what has forced the hand of Arizona law makers.

Now, please don't misinterpret my opinion. I am have several friends from countries other than the U.S. who have immigrated here legally. I know people from Bulgaria, Poland, Mexico, Nicaragua, and El Salvador who have come to the U.S. legally. I consider many of them friends, so I am not against people coming to the U.S., I just ask that they come here through legal avenues.

No comments:

Post a Comment