Tuesday, September 7, 2010

American Health Thoughts

At the beginning of the summer, I read an interesting article in the May 24, 2010 Newsweek. The article was “Save Yourself” by Jonathan Finkelstein.

As I read through this article, the one thing that really sticks out is when Jonathan Finkelstein states, “Although we pay the most for our health care, the U.S. has higher rates of preventable deaths from heart disease, diabetes, and stroke than almost all other industrialized nations.” I personally relate to this statement, as both my father and youngest brother have diabetes. My brother has had several health issues due to his lack of preventative medicine.

Another thing I find sad is the lack of concern of many Americans when it comes to their overall healthiness. I am sure you can ask most Americans what they could do to improve their overall health and most will answer “eat better and exercise more.” People are bombarded with commercials, police, and driving instructors to put on their seatbelts, but when was the last time you saw an ad on television reminding you to not eat a candy bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment