Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Charles Searles

As I looked through the book in search of a work of art that represents role 4, hidden truths/spirituality, I came across Filas for Sale by Charles Searles. My first impression of the painting was that it represents something African. The dark skinned people in the painting, as well as the bright colors, pushed me in this direction.

When I looked up Charles Searles on the internet, I found a biography of him on the G.R. N'Namdi Gallery's home page (locate here). He was born in Philidelphia, lived and worked in New York. He also taught at the Philidelphia College of Art for 20 years. It mentions that his art is influenced by African dance. It also states that he is more known for his sculpting. He lived from 1934-2004 and has left behind numerous works of art.

I was able to find a few of his works on ArtNet. He is represented on the site here. One of his sculptures, Warrior's Dance, uses his favoried medium for sculpting - painted wood. You can take a look at this piece here. G.R. N'Nambi's website also has a wide range of his work you can look at (to view them, go here).

Dance in Africa is a means to show spirituality for the people. I really liked how he translates the fluid art of dance into his paintings and his sculptures, and captures the spirituality of the people of Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't have even looked at more of his work if you hadn't directed me to his websites. Beautiful sculptures!~

    ReplyDelete